Usually when I start a project, I have a pretty clear idea of which way I'm headed. This quilt turned out entirely different from my initial concept, but I am in love with the end result!
I used a heart block pattern that I had saved from a book that was headed to the recycle bin years ago. "My Heart Belongs to the '30s", designed by Sandy Bonsib, out of a Mimi Dietrich book.
It finished at 6.25" after framing on point. I knew I wanted to use low volume backgrounds for the initial blocks, but I was going to use a contrasting color for the setting squares.
BLUE. This shade reminded me of my worn & loved Raggedy Ann doll from my youth. Perfect for a heart quilt, right? I felt the concept was golden, even making the drive to my LQS in Lexington to seek out a few more options. That should have been my first clue...after a HUGE stall, I realized I wasn't pleased with my choice. After considering purple, grey, and even orange(!) for possible setting squares, I had to accept that the blue wasn't going to happen. I have no photo evidence of those tryouts, and good thing, because some of the auditions were really bad. Awful, honestly!
And just like that- the top came together so quickly!
No custom quilting here. I chose a heart-themed pantograph from Digitech Designs, and got it quilted really fast. Love it.
It finished about 50"x60", which is a little smaller than I would have liked. It's bound with 2.5" double fold. I kept the binding low volume also, (shocker) because I felt like this particular one didn't need "framing." The horse was already out of the barn on this adventure, anyway!
Happy Valentine's Day,